Additional Cards for WizWar
This rendition of the rules by Timothy Cain.
Good WizWar Cards
- BLINK - Attack/Counteraction, L.O.S.
- For the next NUMBER card worth of turns (starting on the
caster's turn), the opponent will teleport 1d4 squares in a
random 1d4 direction. If such a Blink takes the opponent to
a square of SOLID STONE, then reroll distance; otherwise,
opponent is affected normally by the contents of the destination
square. Other than on the turn that the spell was cast, no
other movement is possible while the spell is in effect.
Can be cast on SELF as a counteraction to an L.O.S. spell,
but no NUMBER card may be played.
- CONTROL MONSTER - Attack, L.O.S.
- This spell can only be cast on monsters. Control of that
monster immediately turns over to the caster. The monster
now moves and attacks on the caster's turn, starting this
- MAGE MINE - Neutral, L.O.S. (K. Tidwell)
- The caster places a Mage Mine token anywhere in L.O.S. along
with an Attack and optional Number card placed face down under
the Mage Mine card on the side of the board. When any player
moves onto the same square as the Mage Mine, the attack spell
goes off. The Attack can be counteracted normally but, unless
the directed reflection rule is effect, reflected damage is
considered disappated. Means of dispelling Mage Mines are
left to open to debate (probably any sort of Dispel Summoned
Whatzit or Dispel Magical Fritzers should do it). Wild
Variant: throwing something on the Mage Mine makes it go off
in a random direction. Note that treasures cannot be thrown.
- MAID FROM HELL - Attack, L.O.S.
- Summons a Maid to clean up the dungeon. The maid moves in a
straight line (roll randomly for direction, if she can't move
straight ahead) with a move of 6 until she comes across a
token (no players, treasures or monsters), such as a
Thornbush or Slime. She stops her move there and cleans up
the token (remove the token from the board). She is not
affected by the effects of the token. The next turn she
moves straight ahead again. The maid is NOT under the
control of the caster, except to determine her initial
heading, but moves at the end of the caster's turn before the
next player. The maid can take 5 points of damage and does
not have an attack.
- OH NO YOU DON'T - Special/Counteraction
- Completely stops the effects of any neutral spell being
played by the opponent. This spell may be played out of
turn. ANTI-ANTI will work on OH NO YOU DON'T.
Bad WizWar Cards
- FROM BEYOND - Neutral
- This card has no effect when played, until the caster is
dead. On the caster's next turn after death, he rises from
the grave as a WRAITH (cf. Wraith card), with the movement
and powers thereof. The player-wraith does NOT draw cards at
the end of his turn, but does get to keep and use any cards
received from his wraith attack. Of course, all cards in his
wizard hand still go to his killer. This card may be played
immediately, any time during the caster's turn, or at the
moment of his death.
- BRIDE OF AUTOWARP - Neutral, L.O.S.
- The caster may position (or reposition, if necessary) the
Autowarp token, effectively connecting two spaces. The ends
of the autowarp must be lined up on a square, but for
purposes of using the autowarp, any wall at the autowarp's
ends does not exist!
- PSYCHIC STORM - Attack, L.O.S.
- Does magical damage equal to the NUMBER card played to all
opponents in the target square, and all squares adjacent to
the target square (even through walls or other obstacles).
If more then one opponent is affected, damage is divided
equally among them, with all fractions rounded up. A FULL
SHIELD card, if played, will only protect that spells caster.
- BANANANANA - Neutral, Adjacent Square
- Creates a banana peel. Anyone entering the square slips,
falls for 1 point of damage, and slides on the peel for 2
squares in a random 1d4 direction. If the player cannot move
the full 2 squares, he takes 1 point of physical damage for
each square he cannot move. The player's move ends at this
point, but the player can pick up the BANANANANA if desired.
If the player ends his turn directly next to the banana peel,
and spends 1 extra turn, he can pick up the banana peel and
take it into his hand (counts as a card).
- GLASSWALL - Neutral, L.O.S.
- Transforms a stone wall into glass, allowing L.O.S. through
the wall. Movement through the wall is the same as per a
normal wall (only spells or the wraith, for example, will
allow movement through the wall). The wall can be destroyed
with only 5 hits, but doing so will cause it to shatter and
do damage as if a DESTROY WALL spell had been used (ie, 4
points of physical damage to anyone next to the wall).
- CONE OF COLD - Attack Item, L.O.S.
- Does 3 points of magical damage to everything in a straight
line within L.O.S. of the user. Will damage a wall or a
door, but not a solid stone. The user cannot determine who
or what the cone will affect.
- DREADED CURSE - Attack, L.O.S.
- When cast on a opponent with a NUMBER card, Dreaded Curse
causes the next attack of the opponent to cause damage to
both parties with the opponent also taking the NUMBER card
played in magical damage. The opponent does NOT have to
attack the caster for this spell to work.
- ZOT! - Attack, L.O.S.
- Does electrical damage equal to the NUMBER card played and
throws the opponent straight back 1d4 squares. If the player
cannot move the full number of squares, he takes 1 point of
damage for each square not moved. The player can be thrown
OVER a pit, but not through a wall/door or other obstruction
(such as a thornbush).
- EYE OF GOD - Neutral
- Gives the caster L.O.S. to any square on the board for the
purposes of casting an Attack spell for the remainder of this
- SET MAGE TRAP - Neutral, L.O.S.
- The caster places a MAGE TRAP token anywhere in L.O.S. along
with a NUMBER card face down. If another player or monster,
besides the caster or a caster controlled monster, crosses
that MAGE TRAP they take the NUMBER card in magical damage.
- MAGESWORD - Attack
- The wizard can attack another player or monster in the same
square or an adjacent square for DOUBLE the NUMBER card
played in damage (1/2 physical and 1/2 magical). After the
first attack, roll a 1d4 for the number of uses the sword has
remaining. A new NUMBER card must be played each attack.
The magesword can be used on a wall or a door.
- PRECOGNITION - Neutral
- Allows the caster to look ahead into the deck for a number of
cards equal to 2 times the number of players remaining in the
game. No one wizard can use this spell more then once a
- LAST DITCH - Attack, L.O.S.
- When played, the caster does damage equal to his remaining
lifepoints to all wizards in his L.O.S. (including the
caster). The damage is magical.
- MOMMY - Attack
- All wizards are forced to "play nice". Until the end of the
caster's next turn, no Attack cards can be played by any
wizard. A FULL SHIELD card will allow that particular wizard
to still cast Attack spells.
- GIANT SPACE HAMSTER - Attack, L.O.S.
- Summons a Giant Space Hamster that completely fills a square.
The Hamster has no move, no attack and 25 lifepoints. There
is no L.O.S. or movement through the Hamster. At the
caster's desire, the Hamster can eat a Thornbush or a
Rosebush and then disappear. This takes no time.
- CROSSBOW - Attack, L.O.S.
- Does 3 points of physical damage. The number of bolts in the
crossbow is equal to the NUMBER card played on the first
- THE MAD WIZARD CARD - Special
- Wild Card! Can be used as any one other spell; attack,
conteraction or neutral. Can also be used as one number card
(up to 6). [From the 1st and 2nd Editions of the game.]
- MARIO'S REVENGE - Attack, L.O.S.
- When cast, the opponent and the caster both roll the die and
play one number card (if possible, or if they want to). The
person who rolls the lower total number takes 8 points of
damage. If the totals are equal, both wizards take 4 points
of damage. While the opponent can use Counteraction cards as
normal, the casting wizard cannot!
BALANCING THE DECK
The addition of these cards can unbalance the game, so the
addition of some more cards are necessary:
- 3x Number 2 cards
- 2x Number 3 cards
- 1x Number 4 card
- 2x Reflection
- 1x Full Shield
- 1x Anti-Anti
- 1x Dispel Creation
- 1x Fireball
- 1x Lightning Bolt
- 1x Destroy Wall
- 1x Create Wall
[This is entirely a personal preference, and is not truly
Rules rendition by Timothy Cain, Irvine, CA, USA
April 22, 1992
The Game Cabinet
- Ken Tidwell